Folder Name Issue Causing Java UI Rendering Problem In Notes 8 Mail FileI was working with one of my customers and was told about an interesting problem. They are currently in the process of upgrading to Notes 8.5.1 and so far, most of the client upgrades have been nice and smooth. One user had an unusual issue that was causing a bit of angst. After being upgraded and getting the new mail template, most of his folders were not visible in the UI. Here's what it looked like. Notice anything odd?
A quick check using File - Go To confirmed that the folders were indeed still in the database. However, this was the only way the user could navigate to these folders. Looking at the folders in the Admin client did not give us any additional information. Without digging into it too much, we first performed the normal triage procedures (compact, fixup, etc.). These did not yield any positive results. Neither did replacing the design or creating a new database copy. In fact, I went as far as to replace the design to something totally different, then replaced back to the mail template. Nope...same result. Time to get sleuthy.
I received a design copy of the database and began to look at it a little more closely. One odd fact was that some automatically generated folders that Mail Attender created were there, but that was it. These were prefixed with a "-", so I tried adding a new folder with a "-" in front. One worked (-A Test) and one didn't (-Test). Ah...interesting. This caused me to look at the navigation in a little more detail and I realized that the entire UI was not rendering. There should have been some additional options under the folders like "Archive", "Tools", etc. Since the first folder I created appeared under the folder list in the navigation pane but the other did not, this clued me in that perhaps Notes was hitting a folder name it did not like and that caused it to cease rendering the rest of the UI elements at that point. I opened the database in the Notes 8 Basic client and everything appeared fine, so I was pretty confident that this was a bad name or corrupted folder. Sure enough, when I opened the design, I found the offending folders.
There were two folders that used a nested name and each of them were wrapped in parenthesis. They were named:
-To Be Deleted\(-To Be Deleted)\(--ToBeAutoDeleted\Meetings)
-To Be Deleted\(-To Be Deleted)\(All Documents)
As soon as I renamed these folders to remove the parenthesis, everything started working as expected and the entire navigation UI was rendered correctly.
I started playing around a bit and it seems it is the second set of parenthesis after the second backslash that cause the problem. So,
doesn't cause things to break, although it still results in strange behavior in that "Interface" appears but doesn't do anything.
breaks everything. No folders or additional UI elements below "Interface" show up at all.
is OK, as is
blows everything up again.
So...there you have it. Avoid making folder names with multiple levels that are surrounded in parenthesis when using the Java UI. I just wanted to document this in case anyone comes across it again in the future. I haven't checked if this is a known issue yet, but I'll be sure to pass it on to development.